LAI International awarded America Makes funding to predict additive manufactured lattice structure properties
LAI International is pleased to announce that it has been awarded an America Makes project grant to create a predictive model for the performance of lattice structures produced using additive manufacturing technologies. This project will be led by Phoenix Analysis & Design Technologies, Inc. and include collaborations with Arizona State University; Honeywell International Inc.; and Howard A. Kuhn, Ph.D.
Additive manufacturing enables the production of unique geometric features beyond the capabilities of conventional manufacturing technologies. In order to utilize the potential of these features for weight reduction, vibration damping, shock absorption, and many other performance and cost benefits, designers must have a model to predict the material behavior. LAI specializes in design optimization specific to additive manufacturing and will utilize this model to provide our Customers with a solution that will set them apart from their competition.
LAI International joined America Makes in February of 2016 to leverage and contribute to the extensive network of technical expertise in the emerging additive manufacturing industry. Through our collaboration with the industrial, academic, and government members of America Makes, LAI will continue to be a world leader in the production of critical components using advanced manufacturing technologies.
About LAI International
LAI International is a leading contract manufacturer of precision-engineered finished parts, components and sub-assemblies for advanced industries including: aerospace, defense, energy, industrial, and medical.
About America Makes
As the national accelerator for additive manufacturing (AM) and 3D printing (3DP), America Makes is the nation’s leading and collaborative partner in AM and 3DP technology research, discovery, creation, and innovation. Structured as a public-private partnership with member organizations from industry, academia, government, non-government agencies, and workforce and economic development resources, we are working together to innovate and accelerate AM and 3DP to increase our nation’s global manufacturing competitiveness by:
- Fostering a highly collaborative infrastructure for the open exchange of additive manufacturing information and research.
- Facilitating the development, evaluation, and deployment of efficient and flexible additive manufacturing technologies.
- Engaging with educational institutions and companies to supply education and training in additive manufacturing technologies to create an adaptive, leading workforce.
- Serving as a national Institute with regional and national impact on additive manufacturing capabilities.
- Linking and integrating U.S. companies with existing public, private, or not-for-profit industrial and economic development resources, and business incubators, with an emphasis on assisting small- and medium-sized enterprises and early-stage companies (start-ups).
Established in 2012 and based in Youngstown, Ohio, America Makes is the flagship Institute for the National Network for Manufacturing Innovation (NNMI) infrastructure of up to 45 Institutes to follow and is driven by the National Center for Defense Manufacturing and Machining (NCDMM).